Teen Accused of Paralyzing Woman in Robbery Gets Bond Cut in Half


According to Harris County court records, the bond of the Houston suspect who was accused of paralyzing a mother-of-three by bodyslamming him during a “jugging robbery” on February 13 was reduced to $200,000 from $100,000.

After police released the surveillance video, Joseph Harrell (17) was arrested. Harrell is seen following the victim for 24 miles to a bank, before he allegedly bodyslammed her to the ground, and then stole $4300.

Prosecutors requested a $200,000 bond for his arrest for aggravated robbery. They cited the fact that he was just released on a $100 bond on Jan. 26 on an unlawfully carrying a weapon charge.

Prosecutors wrote that Harrell, while on bond for Unlawful Carrying a Handgun stole money from the victim and attacked the victim, causing her to have broken ribs, a fractured spine, and paralysis below the arms. This is a serious bodily injury.

The $200,000 bond was approved on March 17. Judge Kristin Guiney reduced the bond to $100,000 just before noon Wednesday.

Catherine Evans, an attorney appointed to defend Harrell said she made an oral motion for a reduction in the bond.

Evans stated that he requested a lower bond than Judge Guiney had actually set. Evans also informed her that the client’s family is currently unable or unwilling to pay his bond. “Additionally it was confirmed that Mr. Harrell would be placed under 24-hour house arrest.” He will also have to wear a GPS watch in case his family is able to post enough bonds in the future.

Harrell faces a second charge of aggravated robbery and unlawfully carrying a weapon charge on Jan. 26. This is a result of another incident that occurred on February 25.

According to a probable cause statement, Harrell and at most one accomplice allegedly robbed the victim of her purse as she was leaving a southeast Houston business.

The suspects were tracked to an address by the wife and her husband later that day using AirPods she had left in her purse. The woman saw Harrell outside the house and dialed 911. Harrell, he alleged, drove past them while they waited for police to arrive and asked if they needed anything. Harrell allegedly drove by them and asked if they needed anything. As Harrell passed them again, Harrell allegedly pointed a black gun at Harrell.

On March 16, charges were brought in this case. Harrell is currently being held on a $130,000 bond, which covers the February 13 aggravated robbery and February 25 aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Nhung Truong was the victim of the February 13 incident. She was discharged from the hospital on March 17 after a month of treatment. Nhung Truong, the victim in the Feb. 13 incident, was discharged from the hospital on March 17 after receiving treatment for over a month. A GoFundMe campaign raised more than $300,000. Her recovery could take up to two years.