Kansas City Chiefs Parade Shooting: 2 Juveniles Charged, Court Reports

0
536

Two juveniles were charged with the shooting that killed a man at the end of the parade to celebrate the Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl win. According to a Jackson County Family Court statement issued on Friday, the unidentified suspects were detained for gun-related charges and resisting police arrest.

In the statement, it was noted that “additional criminal charges will be expected as the Kansas City Police Department’s investigation continues.”

According to the statement, the suspects were arrested and charged by the Office of the Juvenile officer on Thursday. They were then held in a juvenile detention facility. Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker stated that her office does not supervise or oversee juvenile officers, but she expects to have officials in her office at future hearings for the suspects.

Baker stated in a press release that “we will continue to work with all authorities while the investigation continues.”

Stacey Graves, the police chief who spoke to reporters on Thursday, said that investigators believed a disagreement between several individuals was the cause of the chaos that unfolded outside Union Station during the Chiefs’ Celebration Wednesday afternoon. Graves told reporters that the police have not found any link to terrorism or domestic violent extremism.

Graves thanked the members of the public on Thursday for stopping the person suspected of being involved in the shooting immediately after the incident. In a video of the incident, people are seen tackling someone with a firearm.

“Throughout the time we held him down, people were yelling ‘He has a weapon, he has a weapon, he has a firearm’,” said Trey Filter.

Graves stated that several guns had been recovered at the scene and that police were attempting to determine if anyone else was also involved in the shooting. The police urged anyone who saw the shooting or recorded it on video to contact them.

Lisa Lopez-Galvan was a mother of two, 43, and a radio DJ in her locality. She died as a result of the shooting. Police reported that 22 other people, aged between 8 and 47, were injured.

The adult son of Lopez-Galvan is one of the victims and is expected to survive.

Carmen Lopez-Murguia, Lopez-Galvan’s sister, said: “They took his mother away from him. His best friend.” “She did everything” for them.

Police said that at least half the victims were under 16 years old. Children’s Mercy Hospital officials said that the nine injured children are expected to recover fully.

“We’re all trained for this. We’re prepared to care for these children. But it doesn’t negate that it is still unusual to see so many people injured by gunshots,” Dr. Stephanie Burrus, the hospital’s spokesperson, told reporters on Thursday.