Man Who Killed Retired Couple Swore to Die Before Prison Now Confronts Reality


A vagrant who has a sweet tooth and killed two retired human rights workers on a New Hampshire hiking trail will receive consecutive sentences from 50 years up to life imprisonment for the double murder.

Logan Clegg (27), shot and killed Stephen Reid (67), and Djeswende Reid (“Wendy”), 66 on the Marsh Loop Trail at Concord in April 2022.

The homeless drifter who was nicknamed Mountain Dew Man by detectives because they found empty cans in his camp, killed another man but claimed that it was self-defense. He wasn’t prosecuted for lack of evidence.

Clegg was sentenced to five additional prison sentences ranging from 3 1/2 years to 7 for lesser crimes. These were to be served simultaneously, but only after his initial 50-year-to-life term. After two days of deliberations, the jury found Clegg guilty in October.

Their family had said that the Reids met as humanitarian workers in Washington, D.C., and instantly knew they were soulmates. The Reids retired to New Hampshire to enjoy the outdoors.

Clegg was camping in the forest near their home and had done so for several months. After they disappeared, he tried to flee to Germany on a one-way ticket. Later, police found their remains underbrush.

According to court documents, Vermont police arrested him on October 12, 2022, at the South Burlington Public Library.

After Homeland Security Investigations found his name on the list of flights, they tracked him down through phone records and purchase records.

Michael J. Krol, Special Agent in Charge of HSI New England, stated that agencies from across the nation had contributed “extraordinary detective work” to Clegg’s arrest.

According to a police affidavit, he was wanted in Utah and when an HSI agent noticed that he booked a flight to Berlin, he contacted the detectives.

The Utah investigators alerted their New Hampshire counterparts, who then contacted Homeland Security and discovered that Customs and Border Protection uncovered payment and contact details which ultimately led the task force to the burner in Clegg’s pocket in Vermont.

He was arrested for shoplifting in Utah, in 2020. According to an affidavit, when police removed a gun from his belt during the arrest, he said he would have liked to “pull [it] out to fight one-on-one.”

He said that he “would rather die than f—ing get sent to prison.”

Now, he may die in prison.