Semi-Truck Standoff with Hostages Ends in Tragedy


A second suspect has also died at the hospital Wednesday following a seven-hour standoff with Ohio police near the Dayton airport which ended with the rescue of a semi-truck driver who had been taken hostage, authorities confirmed.

Ohio State Highway Patrol reported that a shooting involving an officer is being investigated by the Bureau of Criminal Investigation. Dayton International Airport Road between Interstate 70 and US 40 will be closed for several hours as investigators examine the scene.

Around 1 am, London police initiated a traffic check on a car without rear lights and visible registration. The suspects fled the vehicle as the officer conducted the traffic stop on US 42, north of London, to a truck stop where they fled by foot.

A male suspect pointed a gun at the officer as the officer tried to deploy the taser.

The suspect fled to a semi-tractor without a trailer nearby. The suspect and the female suspect fled the scene in the vehicle, along with the occupant of the semi-tractor. Authorities said that the suspect, as they fled from the truck stop in London, struck a police cruiser. However, no officers were hurt.

The Ohio State Highway Patrol, Madison County Sheriff’s Office, and London Police began to respond to the scene in order to give chase. The chase ended in Montgomery County, just off Interstate 70, on the Dayton International Airport access road.

Negotiations with the truck driver and suspects continued. The Ohio State Highway Patrol Special Response Team arrived at 3:23 am to help in the hostage situation. The special response team attempted to remove the hostage from the semi at approximately 7:30 am.

According to the latest update from the highway patrol, shots were fired as troopers approached. The troopers returned fire and struck both male and female suspects.

The hostage was taken from the truck and moved to a safe place with only minor injuries. Troopers approached the semi again to arrest both males and females. Both suspects were taken to Miami Valley Hospital, Dayton, with serious injuries. No officers were injured.

Authorities said that the female had been pronounced dead at the hospital in an update at 9:20 am local time.

The Ohio State Highway Patrol then relayed the final information at 12:30 p.m. local, saying that the male suspect had also been declared dead at Miami Valley Hospital. They directed all questions to the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation.